Monday, November 29, 2004

Get more mug for your buck!!!

Have you ever been Mugged by a sandwich? 
Well now you can, at Mugsy's Cafe. The finest sandwiches and melts in the Ohio valley. 
Located off Three Springs Drive, you turn left and drive for a little ways. It's right across the street from the 24-hour Sheetz
Primarily, I was attracted to the name alone. But now I associate the word "Mugsy's" with a big juicy sandwich. Never before have I been so greatly satisfied by a sandwich. Mugsy's Cafe (to me anyway) makes my personal top ten list for best sandwiches of all time. You would never know by the name alone, let alone the looks and location. Yet you step in , attend to the counter, order a sandwich and sit yourself down. In the next ten minutes you find yourself curiously waiting, slightly gazing at the half open kitchen while scanning the sports scores. 
Let me draw from personal experience. I was sitting like a tired old tomato waiting for my sandwich, when all of the sudden, I was confronted by a giant Philly cheese steak with a side a fries. An associate of mine was also attacked by a rather robust Reuben. Nothing but surprise was drawn upon my face as I whispered a quick prayer. Move over Philadelphia (I have never been to Philadelphia), Mugsy's Cafe served the finest cheese steak I had ever consumed. 
The meat was perfectly consistent with the cheese, giving it a well balanced taste. The sauce was not to salty or too sweet. The onions were sautéed to perfection. The bread was wide and thick with a light flaky crust, contributing to the common good of the sandwich. Eating at Mugsy's is like eating while thinking about your food simultaneously. Meaning I enjoyed every bite and every moment of that beautiful cheese steak. 
Besides the Reuben and the Philly, there was a great selection of other big names like the grilled chicken and the good old turkey. Also on the menu, was a great selection of salads. 
Although the decor was simple, the food simply took over. The prices were reasonable, I paid about $5 something for a sandwich and a side of fries which filled me up right away. It's booth style of seating was both cozy and conversational. The width of the table was short, making the space between you and your partner closer. Which makes it really good for an intimate dinner with that special someone. You can even watch a little T.V. or hit the VLTs in a discreet, small room to the side. There is a little bar in front of the kitchen so you can watch the excitement. The self serve beverages satisfied my thirst. The bathrooms were cozy. And overall the restaurant area had a very clean appearance. The service was also great . I was greeted by both smiles and prompt service people. 
It's one of those places you might find yourself going for lunch at work. Laughing the lunch away, you begin a Mugsy's tradition which in turn can give you years of enjoyment. My point of view may sound both exaggerated and slanted but the truth is out there. Mugsy's offers a genuine value and comfort to its customers. Its honest appeal won over my heart and may win yours also. The sandwiches may be large and simple and the name may turn you off. But Mugsy's is no hole in the wall with beer bottles flying around hitting you in the head. It's a quaint little establishment which gets the job done. 
And remember folks, the number one rule of a restaurant is to fill stomachs and Mugsy's does just that.
I, Garth Hernando, give Mugsy's my smack of approval. Now all you have to do is go and enjoy!

No comments: